The U.S. economy continues to recover, and one sign of better financial times is an increase in cosmetic procedures performed in 2014. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons recently released the 2014 statistics on cosmetic procedures, and their report indicated that the number of total procedures rose 3% from the previous year.
Interestingly, one of the procedures experiencing the greatest surge in popularity was buttock augmentation. All three of the most popular buttock augmentation techniques were performed more frequently than they were in 2013. In 2014:
- 11,505 buttock augmentations with fat grafting were performed (up 15%)
- 3,500 buttock lifts were performed (up 44%)
- 1,800 buttock implant procedures were performed (up 98%)
In addition, male plastic surgery procedures continued their recent trend of increasing popularity. The most common procedures performed on men were:
- Pectoral implants (1,054 procedures in 2014)
- Male breast reduction to correct gynecomastia (26,000 procedures performed in 2014)
Minimally invasive facial rejuvenation procedures continue to be extremely popular. Overall, 15.6 million minimally invasive procedures were performed in 2014. The top 5 most popular nonsurgical treatments were:
- BOTOX® Cosmetic (6.7 million procedures)
- Dermal fillers (2.3 million procedures)
- Chemical peels (1.2 million procedures)
- Laser hair removal (1.1 million procedures)
- Microdermabrasion (882,000 procedures)
While buttock augmentation procedures and nonsurgical treatments experienced a sharp increase last year, many of the most popular plastic surgery procedures saw a decline in numbers in 2014. Only liposuction experienced an increase, up 5% from 2013. The other four most popular plastic surgery procedures saw a slight drop in numbers last year:
As the economy continues to improve in 2015, it’s likely that the number of cosmetic procedures will continue to gradually rise. At Chevy Chase Plastic Surgery, we offer a wide range of surgical and minimally invasive, nonsurgical treatment options to help you look and feel your best. Learn more about our services during a confidential consultation.
Please contact Chevy Chase Plastic Surgery using the form at the right side of the page or call (877) 427-7888 today to schedule your plastic surgery consultation. We serve patients in Washington DC, Chevy Chase, Fairfax, Arlington, and throughout the surrounding areas.