With summer rapidly approaching, get summer-body ready with a tummy tuck with Bruno|Brown Plastic Surgery.
Welcome to our blog! Please click here if you’re looking for tummy tuck before and after photos.
What is a Tummy Tuck in Northern Virginia?
Professionally known as an abdominoplasty, a tummy tuck is a surgical procedure that removes excess skin and fat and strengthens abdominal muscles for a flat and smooth stomach. People may have a protruding stomach that isn’t proportionate to the rest of their body. Contrary to popular belief, a tummy tuck will not substitute weight loss or exercise, yet is used to combat an abdomen that may be sagging or loose due to factors such as age, pregnancy, prior surgery, heredity, or significant weight fluctuation.
What types of Tummy Tucks are offered in Northern Virginia?
Clients may not realize this, but there are several different kinds of tummy tuck procedures done to best suit the client’s needs, so it is important to understand the different options available when considering getting a tummy tuck. At Bruno|Brown Plastic Surgery, we offer:
- Mini Tummy Tuck: Patients in need of only a small amount of excess fat and skin removed may only require a mini tummy tuck, requiring a smaller incision and less surgery time.
- Regular Tummy Tuck: The most common tummy tuck ranges from hip to hip, removing excess fat and loose skin from an individual’s entire abdominal area.
- Extended Tummy Tuck: While this procedure is extremely similar to a regular tummy tuck, the targeted area extends beyond the hips, often including a liposuction contour within the desired area. Individuals who want to remove excess skin and fat in the lower back and hips may be recommended this procedure for best results.
- Circumferential Tummy Tuck: A 360-degree tummy tuck removes excess skin and fat from the entire torso, generally most suitable for individuals who have faced significant weight loss, resulting in excess skin and fat in the abdomen, hips, and back.
Consult with our Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeons to determine which procedure is best for you!
What is the recovery process for a Tummy Tuck in Northern Virginia?
Holistically speaking, the recovery process takes around 6 weeks, but patients can ease their way back into their daily activities before full recovery.
- 0-2 Weeks: Movement is limited and abdominal muscles may be sore, so it is likely that you may be hunched over for a portion of the first week. It is best to take it easy for those first few weeks to undergo a smooth and proper recovery.
- 2-4 Weeks: General movements are typically resumed, yet no intense exercise or heavy lifting should be endured, especially in the lower abdominal area. Patients should feel increasingly more comfortable with returning to low-intensity daily activities.
- 4-6 Weeks: At this point, the patient should be nearing normal activities, while maintaining caution. With the doctor’s approval, the patient can resume other activities and heavy lifting.
Am I a good candidate for a tummy tuck in Northern Virginia?
A tummy tuck is a very individualized procedure, meaning it is different from person to person. Factors that can make you a better candidate for a tummy tuck would include:
- You are at a healthy weight for your body
- You have realistic expectations
- You don’t smoke
- You want to change the appearance of your abdomen
While the most prominent desire for getting a tummy tuck is to remove excess skin and tighten abdominal muscles, individuals may also be interested in this procedure for improving loose abdominal muscles and skin from pregnancy, urinary inconsistency problems, and hernia removal. If you are interested in getting a tummy tuck and want to see if you are a good candidate, schedule a consultation with us today.