Are you considering a tummy tuck to help you achieve your desired body contour? Before making a decision, there are several things you need to know about this surgical procedure.
Here are five factors to consider before getting a tummy tuck in Washington, DC:
1. Understanding tummy tuck surgery:
A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty is a cosmetic surgery that removes excess skin and sculpts stomach areas. This procedure can also help tighten the muscles in your abdominal wall, resulting in a smoother and firmer profile. Patients often seek this surgery after pregnancy or following significant weight loss.
2. What are the types of tummy tucks?
There are four types of tummy tucks. Our board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Bruno covers everything you need to know about the types of tummy tucks!
- Mini tummy tuck: This type is perfect for patients who only need a small amount of excess fat removed. Mini tummy tucks have smaller incisions, and the surgery takes less time than other tummy tucks.
- Regular/normal tummy tuck: This tuck targets the entire abdominal area from hip to hip. The normal tummy tuck is ideal for individuals with excess skin and fat on their entire abdomen and is often the most common type of tummy tuck.
- Extended tummy tuck: The extended tummy tuck is similar to a regular tummy tuck, but it extends further back and behind the hips. The surgery may also include liposuction to contour the area. This type of tummy tuck is recommended for those with excess skin and fat in the lower back and hips.
- Circumferential tummy tuck: The circumferential tummy tuck is a 360-degree tummy tuck that removes excess skin and fat from the entire torso. This procedure is ideal for individuals who have lost significant weight and have excess skin and fat in their back, hips, and abdomen.
To determine the perfect tummy tuck for you, consult your DC plastic surgeon, who will help you select the perfect procedure for your goals!
3. What a tummy tuck can correct:
Tummy tucks can address various concerns, including:
- loose skin from weight loss
- loose abdominal skin and muscles from pregnancy
- hernia removal
- problems with urinary incontinence
The most common reason for getting a tummy tuck, however, is to tighten muscles and excess skin.
4. Tummy tuck recovery:
A tummy tuck is not a minor procedure. Depending on your tummy tuck type, the recovery can be more intense than others. Typically for a traditional tummy tuck, your recovery should take about 6 weeks with a timeline that looks like this.
In the first two weeks, you are sore. Movement is limited, and you will probably be hunched over for most of that first week. You take it easy for those first few weeks.
The 2nd through the 4th week, you start to get more movement. No heavy or intense exercising (especially not in your lower abdominal area). You should start feeling better and be more comfortable returning to small daily activities.
You should almost return to normal from the 4th to the 6th week. With your doctor’s approval, you should be able to take on more activities and heavy lifting.
5. Finding the best tummy tuck surgeons in Washington, DC:
When considering a tummy tuck in Washington, DC, choosing a qualified and experienced surgeon is crucial. You want to ensure that you’re in safe hands and achieve the best possible results. At Bruno Brown Plastic Surgery, our board-certified plastic surgeons, Dr. Bruno, and Dr. Brown, can provide you with the knowledge and experience you need for a successful tummy tuck surgery.