Many women who have a mastectomy to remove the breast, most often for breast cancer, look to minimize the distress of this harrowing experience through reconstructive surgery. Dr. Brown and Dr. Bruno offer breast reconstruction procedures with the aim of helping women reclaim and maintain their femininity.
What Should I Expect from Breast Reconstruction?
The breast reconstruction procedure involves restoring or replacing the appearance of breasts which have been removed due to mastectomy or which have been altered. This process offers the chance to completely reinvent the appearance of your chest. Drs Bruno and Brown understand that femininity means something different to every woman and so the desired appearance of the breasts is also particular to every women. They will work with you to understand what figure will best improve you body image and self esteem.
Breast Reconstruction is one of the most personalized services offered at Bruno|Brown, and may involve a combination of procedures. In your consultation your doctor will work with you to determine your exact needs.
Patients who have undergone previous reconstructive implant surgery often suffer from an excessive muscle animation deformity. Because implants are often placed under the muscle and there is no breast tissue between the muscle and the skin after mastectomy, normal daily motion and activity can cause an excessive wrinkling and discomfort in the chest area. We have found that using an advanced technique to restore the natural position and function of the chest muscles, we are able to improve the outcomes for many women following mastectomy and reconstruction.To learn more about muscle animation, please click here.
Benefits of Breast Reconstruction
- Increases confidence, particularly after mastectomy
- Can be customized to your exact preferences
- Improves breast shape, size, and symmetry
Types of Breast Reconstruction Surgery that we perform…
- Tissue Expander and Implant Reconstruction
- Direct-to-Implant Reconstruction
- DIEP (perforater flap) Reconstruction using abdominal skin/fat
- Latissimus Muscle Flap Reconstruction using back skin/fat/muscle
- Fat Grafting Reconstruction using fat from various locations
- Advanced Technique Muscle Animation Repair
- Oncoplastic Breast Reconstruction
- Reconstructive Breast Lifting/Reduction
About the Breast Reconstruction Procedure
While many women look to breast reconstruction after battling cancer, the procedure is also relevant in the following cases:
- When planning to have a mastectomy or lumpectomy in the future
- After undergoing a mastectomy or lumpectomy
- When suffering from breast abnormalities or asymmetry, often from previous surgery
- When surgical procedures in the past did not provide the desired result and are looking to have corrective surgery
Depending on your individual circumstances, breast reconstruction for medical purposes may often be covered by health insurance. Check with you provider to find out if you qualify.
If you’re considering breast reconstruction, or have questions about what the procedure can do for you, contact us today to discuss your specific needs.